Sunday 19 June 2016

The Ultimate Battle: Books VS eBooks

As long as humanity can remember (or at least since eReaders were invented) there have been discussions which book format is better: The new and practical eBook or the traditional much beloved physical book.
In my opinion there are pros and cons to both of these formats, so what better way to discuss this topic than with a list?! Yaaay lists!

Pros of eBooks:

  • You can literally take them everywhere.
In this day and age almost everybody has a smart phone, on which they can read an eBook. Only last week, while I was taking the train, I was reading this new book I received for review (Self promo, you can read more about my thoughts about it here) Also if you read it in class, nobody is going to notice. Whether if you read a physical book everybody suddenly seems to be interested in what you are reading, even the people who haven´t voluntarily touched a book in the last decade.

  • Your book won´t get wet.
This is SO IMPORTANT! Have you ever taken a book to the beach or to the pool and left with it being a bit wet, so from now on your beloved book has a water stain on it? Of course you have! And you all know how horrible it is!

  • ARCs
I know this doesn´t apply to everyone, but getting physical ARCs outside of Amerika, UK or OZ is hard. I don´t live in an English-speaking country so the only real way I am getting my English ARCs is through websites like Netgalley or Edelweiss (praise you for existing!)

  • It´s cheaper
Don´t argue with me over this topic please. I know not all of them are cheaper, but most are, even though most often the difference is only a couple of dollars. But they truly are cheaper. Also there are lots of free eBooks out there, especially by self-published or even Indie-published authors. By now even libraries often have books in electronical Formats, which you can lend out online.

  • The space
Don´t lie to me that you don´t struggle with having too many books and too little space on your shelves. We all do. And in a matter of fact eBooks just don´t take up any, except a few Gigabytes on your eReader or phone.

Cons of eBooks:

  • You can´t show them off
Yes, it´s a vain reason, but a really important one none the less. I can´t help but feel really happy every time I see my book collection and just find joy in arranging them in a new order or putting new ones on my shelves.

  • They are not the real deal
This is the most prominent reason, why I still, and forever will, buy printed books. I just find that I can read them much quicker and also just have a better reading experience. It is probably a bias thing to say, but lots of times I unconsciously give books, I read on my Kindle, a worse rating than I maybe would have, had I read them in a physical format.  You just can´t replace the smell and feel of a book in your hands, which is, in my opinion, one of the best things in reading. With eBooks you just don´t the satisfaction of actually seeing your progress and suddenly realizing how little, of this amazing book you´re currently reading, you have left.

Which of these formats do you prefer? And did I forget something? Let me know in the comments down below!
Read on xx

Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment