Sunday 29 May 2016

My Summer TBR

Summer is now almost upon us, which also means one signifcant thing (apart from ice cream; ice cream is important the whole year round): SCHOOOOL´S OUT
Where I live, school ends at the first of July. Still a couple of weeks away, but not as far as one might believe, since time tends to fly, especially at the end of the schoolyear. But even though the holidays are still more than a month away, all the final tests and such end at the beginning of June. This means I will have lots of free time to spend on reading (and ice cream, once again ice cream is important). So I thought it would be fun to share what my reading plans are for this summer, so that in September I will be able to really see, which of my reading goals I accomplished. All of these books are in no particular order, as I really hope to get to all of them in the next few months.
Before you get into this list, I just wanted to let you know, that in this List there are only books included, which I either already own or want to lend from my local library, as I don´t really have enough money to buy most of my Anticipated BookReleases for this Summer
I am going to use #SeriesSummer to participate in the project started by JBookLover13 (Shoutout by the way, your videos are awesome). It is her way of keeping on track with reading all of her unread series and as I have some on my shelves as well I thought it would be a cool idea to participate. The goal of #SeriesSummer is to keep you motivated to read series, with no particular goals, except your personal ones.

City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire, and the Infernal Devices Trilogy, all by Cassandra Clare

I finally decided to give The Mortal Instruments another shot, so I reread “City of Bones” and “City of Ashes”. Both of which I liked, but not really loved. But for the first time I continued and read “City of Glass”. And OH.MY.GOD. I get all the hype around these books now. It´s not as good of a series as for example the “Lunar Chronicles” in my opinion, but still really good. I found them to be more of a guilty pleasure series, that you need to be hooked on to love, but once I got into it, I was addicted. So now have to wait until Wednesday, because that´s when my package of the last three books will arrive. I also read that you are supposed to read Cassandra Clare´s books in order of publishing date, so that is exactly what I´m gonna do.

City of Fallen Angels



City of Lost Souls



City of Heavenly Fire



Clockwork Angel:


Clockwork Prince


Clockwork Princess


All of the Infernal Devices in a Boxed Set (I would recommend buying them book by book, for some reason it´s cheaper)



Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes

“Me Before You”, seems to have taken over every reader’s bookshelf, as I have seen it supposedly everywhere these last few months. And now that the movie is coming out soon, I decided I should probably finally read it. It is advertised as this great romance book, where Louise takes a job as a caretaker for Will, whom she is the first to treat like a normal person. They fall in love because it´s a Romance Novel and supposedly something sad happens and I am ready. Ready to cry.



The Percy Jackson Series, by Rick Riordan


This is the only reread I have on this list, since I don´t particularly like rereading things, but I figured I should reread at least one book/series. It has been about seven years since I have read the series for the first time, gosh time really flies by, so I don´t remember a lot of details, which is why I chose this series. We follow our main character Percy, who finds out he is a demi god so he goes to this camp over the summer, Camp Halfblood. Camp Halfblood is a camp particularly for the children of other greek gods, like Percy. I remember this series being tons of fun so I am really pumped about reliving all of Percy´s adventures with him once more.



Ruin and Rising and Six of Crows, both by Leigh Bardugo


As I have also mentioned in my post about My Top 10 Anticipated Summer Releases, I was surprised by how much I liked the first two books in this series. I was a big fan of the Russian setting and can´t wait to finally know how Bardugo is going to conclude this series. I can´t really talk about the plot, in fear of spoiling something, but just know that the Grisha Trilogy is set in a russsian inspired world, where there are people with magical abilities, called grishas. During the books we follow a girl called Alina, who finds out that she is the first grisha in thousands of years who can summon light. There is also this fold of darkness, and one of the best villains ever, but just know that you should read it.
 I also own “Six of Crows” which is the companion/follow up (?????) series set in the same universe as the Grisha Trilogy, after its events. All of the reviews I have read, were completely raving about how much better, than the Grisha Trilogy it is, so that makes me even more excited. This book basically follows a couple of different characters in pursuing a heist. And heist stories are my favourites so that´s that.

Ruin and Rising



Six of Crows



The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruis Zafón

This is the first book of the month in the Uncovered Book Club, which is hosted by Max from WellDoneBooks and Raeleen from Padfootandprongs07. Both of them are Booktubers, whose content I really enjoy watching and I have had this book on my shelves for quite some time. It also has been recommended to me, so all in all I thought this read along would be to perfect opportunity to finally read this book. It is set in Barcelona during 1945, after the Spanish Civil War. A boy named Daniel finds this books. After reading it he looks for more books by the same author to discover that someone is destroying all of the author´s books.



Since You´ve Been Gone, by Morgan Matson

This will be my first Morgan Matson book, but from what I have gathered all her books are the perfect light, but really fun, summer contemporary read. I can already picture myself laying in our garden, with some ice cream (hehehe) on a nice summer evening, reading this. The main character´s name is Emily and she is more of a wallflower, whose best friend Sloane suddenly disappears. But Sloane leaves her a list of tasks to complete, so Emily checks all of them of, during the course of summer in hope of finding Sloane in doing so. Have I mentioned that they are eating ice cream on the cover?



Y-The Last Man, by Brian K. Vaughn, Pia Guerra and José Marzán Jr.

The first and only graphic novel series on this list. I read the first volume a couple weeks ago and loved it, but haven´t been able to get to my local library since then to get the other volumes. The reason I picked it up, and damn am I happy I did that, is that the writer is the writer who also wrote Saga, which is my second favourite graphic novel series of all time. Even though it is not as great as “Saga”, which is mostly due to the artstyle. And my preference in fantasy, but mostly the art. But sill it is just as funny as “Saga”, if not even more. In “Y-The Last Man” all the man die. Just like *snap* all of them dead, on the floor. Except Yorrick and his pet monkey Ampersand. The story then follows, them finding out why they are still alive, while also fighting for survival.



Daughter Of Smoke and Bone Trilogy, by Laini Taylor

I got the box set from my mother for my birthday, and now it just sits on my shelf sits just waiting for summer holidays waiting to be marathoned. It has, as far as I know, only received praise, especially due to Taylor´s writing and is many people´s favourite series. I am not quite sure what it is about except that it is about this art student Karou, who draws monsters and collects teeth, I recall? It is also set in Prague and I have never read anything set there, but I think she will capture its essence just right.


The Well of Ascension, by Brandon Sanderson

So far, the first book in the Mistborn Trilogy, is one of my favourite books of this year. It was everything I didn´t know I wanted and so much more. Again I can´t really go into the plot of this book, because spoilers, but I don´t even want to really know what it is about anyway. Just know that “The Final Empire”, the first book, is something every fantasy lover should read. The bad guy has won and has already ruled the land for hundreds of years. There is also this awesome thing were a few people can burn metal to access powers. A small gang of those people, group together to take down the emperor in a nearly suicidal heist. Picture it as an Ocean 11 with magic, which sounds like everything you could need in life, doesn´t it? Believe me it is.


Rebel Belle, by Rachel Hawkins

I have owned this book for about six months now, which is quite a long time for not reading a book, which I am really excited for. But I am really scared of the sequels. From everything I gathered, most people loved the first book, but found the other two to be mediocre at best. So somehow in my head it seems like a rational decision to not read it, even though I want to!
The story basically follows this southern “Belle”, named Harper, who on her Prom Night becomes a Paladin. Now she has to protect her arch enemy David, whose fate could very well destroy earth. Sounds so ridiculous, but awesome indeed.



What did you guys think of my list? Have you read any books on it? And what are you guys reading this summer? Let me know in the comments down below together with what kind of ice cream is your favourite! ;P
Read on xx

Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment