Thursday 26 May 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury, by Sarah J. Maas

*Disclaimer* If you haven´t read the first book yet please be aware of eventual spoilers. I would not advise reading on if you are interested in starting this series and are hugely repelled by spoilers. The spoilage is not very deep though, so if you don´t mind continue on, just be warned. However if you have read the first book and just haven´t continued on yet, this review will be Spoiler free until after the free space underneath.

Title: A Court of Mist and Fury
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 626
Published by: Bloomsbury UK
Rating: 5/5
A Court of Mist and Fury, or let´s just call it ACOMAF for short, starts only a couple months after the events of A Court of Thorns and Roses, ACOTAR. Feyre is back in the Spring Court about to get married to Tamlin, when Rhysand appears to call in his end of the bargain. Now Feyre has to spend one week each month at the Night Court, where she learns that not everything is not as black and white as it seems.

After I was not the biggest fan of ACOTAR, due to various problems I had with the story and the characters, I was quite hesitant to continue on with this series, let alone pre-order ACOMAF. But thankfully I did. A Court of Mist and Fury was everything I wanted and needed the first book to be and more. It had a fast moving story, plot twists, great character development, lots of snarky humour and so much more. Sarah J. Maas did an especially brilliant job in not only introducing us to the Night Court, but making me falling in love with it and lots of new characters as well. She transferred me right into this beautiful world, that I didn´t want to leave, which lead to me almost falling asleep, while reading at 2am numerous times, because I just couldn´t stop reading. If you need more proves to convince you to pick up this book I want to let you know that it is a big book. I was really shocked, when this monster of 600 and something pages turned up on my doorstep one day. But I finished it in three days. Not even on a weekend. It took me three normal school days. And I am not that fast of a reader, especially not during school. So needless to say I absolutely ADORED this book and everybody should pick this up, especially if you weren´t too keen about the first book.




Entering Spoilerland




LET´S TALK ABOUT RHYSAND! In the first book I wasn´t a big fan of neither Tamlin nor Rhysand, but I did have a preference for Rhys. I found the relationship between Tamlin and Feyre to be a bit uncomfortable and weird, mainly because some of the things he did in ACOTAR. And oh boy. He looked Feyre into his house! That´s like some serious dominance issue right there, and I just can´t fathom why he would do that? She is like one of the most powerful fae to live right now and she has all these powers, which she could use to defend herself, but that douchebag just treats her like a five year old, who doesn´t know what´s best for him. But not only that, but he also ignores her and her wishes, just to go off to hunt some moose or whatever he does. So of course, I was really happy when Rhys turned up at their wedding. He takes her in, teaches her how to read and build that wall and treats her like an equal, so by what? Page eighty or something I was already on team Rhys and stayed there for all of the remaining story. I found his character to be great as well, because not only does he treat Feyre like a person, no he is witty and snarky. It was amazing how much he gave up to protect his family and Velaris.  Velaris was another highlight in this story. Sarah J. Maas to make me fall just as much in love with it as Rhysand does. I felt like I was there, strolling around, watching the theatre performances and more. The worldbuilding in general was just done phenomenally.
One of my favourite scenes hands down, was when they went into the Court of Nightmares to get the orb. It was so steamy and just ugh! Give me more! Feyre was just so conflicted about her feelings and she didn´t even know why! And OMG they are mated! I´m so excited. Loads of people already guessed that Rhys and Feyre were mates at the end of ACOTAR, but I was pretty oblivious until somebody pointed it out to me on Goodreads. I was afraid that the suspicion would spoil my reading experience, but I completely forgot during all the other amazing stuff that went down. So when Feyre  found out that Rhys was her mate I still freaked out. I understood why she dealt with the situation the way she did, but found it really awkward when they were just having sex all the time. While I love how Maas writes the flirtatious, necking scenes, hence the scene in the Court of Nightmares being a standout, I am not the biggest fan of her sex scenes. I just find them weird and a bit uncomfortable to read.
A thing I didn´t see coming as well, was the twist at the end, when Lucian finds out Elain is his mate. Like, who saw THAT coming?! And Feyre being the High Lady of the Dream Court? You go girl! Show Tamlin what a girl can do. Reason 697 why I just love Rhysand. He treats her like an equal. But now that the deal is broken and Feyre is back at the Spring Court, urgh in between, Lucien needs her or else he won´t see Elain again. At least Rhys and Feyre can still communicate with each other, or else I would have a fear that we won´t have enough Rhysand in the next book.
All in all I completely unexpectedly fell in love with this book and can´t recommend it highly enough. It has, for sure, been one of the best books I´ve read this year and I can´t wait for May 2017 for the next book to come out. By the way, what do you guys think it will be called? My guess is on A Court of Spies and War.  And what will the cover look like? Maybe green with Feyre holding bow and arrow? Let me know your guesses down below, as well as what you thought of ACOMAF!
Read on xx
Lena


No comments:

Post a Comment