Friday 1 July 2016

July Releases

My top picks that are released in July 

Saga Volume 6, by Brian K. Vaughn & Fiona Staples

If you have been reading my blog you will by now know that Saga is one of my all-time favourite series. Even though I am not completely caught up (cuz let´s face it graphic novels are EXPENSIVE) I am really happy that there is another volume out for me to put on my Christmas wish list.
If you haven´t read Saga yet, first off: Do it! It´s phenomenal! (Except if you are younger because there is LOTS of violence and sexy stuff) But it basically follows this young couple, from different planets as they raise their child, while on the run from their governments. It´s funny, the story is great, the art is phenomenal and you should read it.
Published July 5th



Learning to Swear in America, by Katie Kennedy

As the earth is about to be destroyed by an asteroid, NASA calls onto 17 year old mastermind Yuri to save the day. But Yuri has a hard time getting the older physicists to listen to him. But then he meets Dovie, who shows him what it means to save the world and save a life worth living.
This synopsis sounds so ridiculous that it will be great. I am curious to see in which route they take Yuri´s social capacity though, because I most often see characters who are “teenage geniuses” portrayed in the likes of Sheldon Cooper. What I hope this story will do is provide a greater perspective on the ability of teenagers to induct change/save the world, so we will see. "Learning to Swear in America" is also a debut and I love supporting debut authors so go Katie!
Published July 5th



An Author´s Odyssey, by Chris Colfer

“The Land of Stories” is hands down one of my favourite Middle Grade series, like ever. It got me started into reading retellings and branch out more into MG in general and just bae. Also Chris Colfer, whom you may know from the TV show “Glee” is the author so there is that. I haven´t read the fourth book yet, but I got it recently, so this is definitely very high up on my TBR. As this is the fifth book in a series there are of course spoilers, but the description on GR literally only says fifth book in the Land of Stories series, so that shouldn´t be a problem. The first book follows two siblings, who fall into their grandmother´s  old story book, where they meet lots of known characters like Little Red Riding Hood (Go Red!) as they try to find a way back into the real world.
Published July 12th



Arabella of Mars, by David D. Levine

After really enjoying the Steampunk element in “Clockwork Angel” (read my review here) I am excited to read another book set in the same era. “Arabella of Mars” follows. Britain has a new colony on Mars, where our main character Arabella (Well duh), who is everything but a proper young lady, lives. To discipline her, her mother sends her to earth, London to be exact. But after some dramatic change in her family´s circumstance, she needs to go back to Mars. To achieve this she must disguise herself as a boy on a ship serving the Mars Trading Company. It sounds fun, action packed and like a great SciFi Steampunk novel.
Published July 12th



On the Other Side, by Carrie Hope Fletcher

I would really like to give you guys a summary of what this book is about, but its description confuses me. The only thing I can gather from it is that this book follows Evie Snow after she dies and because of some secret in the past, which she now has to unravel, she can´t go into heaven.  I like Carrie Hope Fletcher´s YouTube channel so I am really excited for this book to come out next month.
Published July 14th



The Woman in Cabin 10, by Ruth Ware

The most likely time for me to pick up a thriller is on holiday (on which I will go soon eeek!) so if you are the same “The Woman in Cabin 10”, may be a good choice, especially since the story is set on a cruise, which gives me major holiday vibes. The travel journalist Lo Blacklock has been given the chance of a lifetime. She gets to travel on a luxury cruise for seven days in the North Sea. But then a passenger gets thrown overboard.
Published July 19th



A World Without You, by Beth Ravis

We follow this boy, named Bo, who thinks he can travel through time. So his parents send him to a school for troubled youths, where he meets this girl Sophie and they fall in love. But even despite their love Sophie commits suicide due to her depression. Now Bo thinks Sophie is not really dead and he is convinced he is able to go back in time to save her.
Beth Ravis is known for her popular “Across the Universe” trilogy, which I haven´t read, but this book sounds really interesting. I imagine it to take a different approach on mental illness with magical realism sprinkled into it, which I am really intrigued by.
Published July 19th



P.S. I Like You, by Kasie West

During Chemistry Lily scribbles down a line from her favourite song. No surprise she is surprised to find a message next to it the next day, Soon enough Lily and her mystery student are exchanging messages, lyrics and even sharing secrets.
I almost missed this book! Thank goodness I didn´t because it sounds so cute and sweet. If you have read all the summery contemporaries you own yet, this sounds like P.S I Like You would be a great one to pick up next.
Published July 26th

GR: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25486998-p-s-i-like-you

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/P-S-Like-You-Kasie-West/dp/0545850975

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, by J.K Rowling

This is the “continuation” of the Harry Potter series, which let´s be honest everyone and their mother have read by now. Don´t get me wrong it IS my favourite series of all time and I am reals excited for this book, but I don´t know if I am willing to spend actually quite a lot of money on a manuscript.
Published July 31st




So what releases are you most excited about? Hopefully I didn´t miss any! Let me know in the comments down below!
Read on xx
Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment