Saturday 30 July 2016

July Wrap-Up

If I were to summon up my reading habits this month the only way I would be able to describe it were: Weird.
Hey guys, how are you? Long-time no see. I am sorry, but my computer had to be repaired and it took longer than I thought it would. But at least I read a lot! Especially during my vacation, but after that things got strange. I fell into a reading slump, but only kind of. I wanted to read, but no book grabbed my attention so I started I think five different ones until I finally committed and finished a book. But since then the only thing I have read this month are graphic novels/comics. Nothing wrong with that, but it I would rather read novels. Anyway, moving on to what I actually read:


City of Lost Souls, by Cassandra Clare          4/5 Stars
Once again a great book by Cassandra Clare, really liked the plot (Review to come)
Got this one as an ARC, this one just kinda fell flat. Pretty forgettable
The Well of Ascension, by Brandon Sanderson       4.5/5 Stars
While not as good as the first book, this was a really great high fantasy book (Review to come)
Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella     5/5 Stars
ReadbyZoe on YouTube read these books a while ago so I wanted to pick them up as well. LOVED it. Really fun and fast read with loveable characters
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, by Sophie Kinsella    4/5 Stars
This one repeated lots of things from the first book, so while still enjoyable, it just wasn´t as refreshing and fun
Shopaholic Ties the Knot, by Sophie Kinsella          4.5/5 Stars
The plot goes into a different direction and shopping takes the backseat, once again really great (I think I might review the series as a whole, or maybe in pairs, not sure yet)
My Life Next Door, by Huntley Fitzpatrick            2.5/5 Stars
This was the book that helped me start reading again, but it wasn´t pretty good to be honest. The characters were really cliché and the plot felt unnecessarily stretched out. (Review to come)


Graphic Novels:
Attack on Titan Vol 1, by Hajime Isayama    4/5 Stars
I started watching the anime again, so I knew what was going to happen; While really great, the art style was confusing at times
Attack on Titan Vol 2, by Hajime Isayama    4/5 Stars
I really appreciated the scene that was left out of the anime, it gave me a better understanding of Mikasa; I think I still prefer the anime though because the manga isn´t as suspenseful and emotionally gripping
East of West Vol 3: There Is No Us, by Jonathan Hickman         3.5/5 Stars
I took too much time off this series, so I was quite confused by what was going on, but I got back into it by one point; Finally, the threads are intertwining!
East of West Vol 4: Who Wants War? by Jonathan Hickman      4.5/5 Stars
Loved the information (maps, history etc.) at the beginning. Some of the story arcs are becoming understandable, but there is still lots of mystery around what´s really going on; Can´t wait for Volume 5!
Fables Vol 1: Legends in Exile, by Bill Willingham          5/5 Stars
Great first instalment, I can definitely see myself becoming obsessed with this series
Fables Volume 2: Animal Farm, by Bill Willingham         5/5 Stars
This volume was even better!
Seconds, by Bryan Lee O`Malley        4/5 Stars
A really quirky and cute graphic novel. The art style portrays the characters similar to chibis, which is sweet. The dynamic between Katie and the narrator is unlike anything I have read before. Recommend especially for people who want to get into graphic novels!!!
Sweet Tooth Vol 1: Out of the Deep Woods, by Jeff Lemire        3/5 Stars
Didn´t really like the artstyle, but it does fit the story well
Sweet Tooth Vol 2: In Captivity, by Jeff Lemire      3.5/5 Stars
I liked this one better; Also we got some backstory, which is always nice
Sweet Tooth Vol 3: Animal Armies, by Jeff Lemire          3/5 Stars
Didn´t like it as much as the second volume
Chew Vol 1: Taster´s Choice, by John Layman       3/5 Stars
This was a difficult one, I appreciate the plot and the characters, but I wasn´t a fan of the art and it is just a bit too gross for my taste (pun intented), I´ll probably read Vol 2 and then decide if I really want to continue on, I would still recommend it though, because it is by no means a “bad” comic
Y: The Last Man Vol 2: Cycles, by Brian K. Vaughan      4/5 Stars
Even though I didn´t like it as much as the first Volume, I still really liked it! It wasn´t as humorous and I can´t comprehend Hero´s actions. Also: Not cool Yorrick! What about Beth?
Y: The Last Man Vol 3: One Small Step, by Brian K. Vaughan   4/5 Stars
I think this is my least favourite volume in this series yet, it was great until that part with the theatre. That turned me off a bit, but apart from that: Great Volume, great series!
Y: The Last Man Vol 4: Safeword, by Brian K. Vaughan  4.5/5 Stars
The beginning was strange, but after they leave 711 this volume did everything right again.


As you can see, I was pretty busy this month. Do you want me to review any book/comic in particular? Let me know down below and we can discuss it together!

Read on xx
Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment